1) What is your name, and who are you?
Jen, the proud mother of this interesting and talented blogger
2) How do you know Kate?
Well, um, see above. I fell in love with her in December 1983.
3) Tell me about a typical day in your life.
I work on mindfulness all day long, in between worrying.
4) What’s the most challenging part of your life (could be a pet peeve, a work or family issue, whatever).
Finding five spare minutes. Seriously, I always have so much I want to DO!
5) What are you likely to be doing at 8pm on a Saturday night?
Shopping or taking in a show or movie with my wonderful hubby. At 10 pm, I'm having a beer or glass of wine with him.
6) Paint me a picture of your life in five years.
I hope my grandkids are here and/or are coming – and live close by.
7) If you could be given any gift, what would it be?
Definitely world peace, definitely.
8) What part of your morning routine do you consider essential?
Making a green smoothie for my SO and me...and a certain amount of foundation. And, on work days, 30 minutes of solid driving tunes as I get in the zone for the day's battle.
9) What one deceased person would you like an hour with?
I'd like an hour with Phyllis Maloney. She would indulge me as I gushed about how well her Maloney grandchildren are doing. We would both enjoy that. And then I would ask her a few questions and also have the opportunity to properly thank her.
10) If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go and why? Have you been there before?Although I haven't been there, I hear Australia is cool. We met a couple on the Eurail in Milan, Italy and shared a car and a bottle of wine as we traveled to Nice, France and they told many provocative stories that have piqued my interest.
11) You have ten minutes to give a speech to college seniors. What do you talk about?I'd try to impress on them the impact of their choices – how very often kids this age make life-defining decisions.
12) What is your all-time favorite song?Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Holiday" by Counting Crows. Mellow: "You've Got A Friend" by James Taylor; Workout: ""Firework by Katy Perry; Sentimental: "Someone Like You" by Adele; Country: "Someday Soon" by Suzy Bogguss. I also like Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie" and John Legend's "So High". All time fav album is Keith Jarrett's, The Kohn Concert. Oh, and "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas, duh.
13) If you weren’t in your current occupation, what would you like to do?Write. Or be a family counselor or a masseuse.
I have a generous and patient partner who is my BFF; I will be forever grateful for the gift of my children and all that they bring me, as well as the gift of love from my precious parents and treasured siblings.
15) What do you “know now” that you wish you “knew then”?That I am worthy of all goodness and that all I have to do is claim it
Thanks, mama! For more on my mom, visit her blog: GPS with Steil.
If you'd like to be part of the Interesting Person Interview Series, please email your answers to theyearofthekate at gmail.com.