Monday, November 23, 2009
We saw Ari Hest, my favorite singer/songwriter OF. ALL. TIME. (This is my second time seeing him, and my mom's third!). I have loved him since 10th grade, and his song "When Everything Seems Wrong" is still in my Top 10 Most Played, seven years after I first discovered it. His opener was Declan O'Rourke, this Irish singer embarking on his first US tour. We saw them at a really small venue in Cedar Rapids, which was in an art center. There were under 40 people in attendance, so it was so intimate and just fantastic. The venue was BYOB, and was the cutest little place ever. We were so close to the stage, it felt like Ari was singing to me (pretty sure he was. ha). We immediately bought Declan's new cd (er, USB. He sold these USB devices with two CD's worth of music, a biography, and a digital autograph on it. pretty funny).
Unfortunately, both my mom & I forgot our cameras (ARGH!) but I can't stress enough how amazing the experience was. In fact, I am seeing him again on Tuesday night when he plays in Chicago :)
Monday, November 9, 2009
Yesterday I was lucky enough to have my first experience at Soldier Field... and let me tell you, I was NOT disapointed (uhmm, except with the outcome of the game). I went to the game with my fabulous cousin Laura & our fellas. The morning started with a football brunch and tailgating, and ended with great seats at the game.
Friday, October 23, 2009
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
- It's long. And by long - I mean almost 4 hours long.
- I was surprised how many of the lines ("Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"; "With enough courage, you can do without a reputation"; "You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how"; "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again") I'd heard before but never knew they were from Gone With the Wind.
- I had really dragged my feet about watching this one, but I LOVED every second of it. The plot was interesting, the characters were scandalous, and the chemistry between Clark Gable & Vivien Leigh was electric. I can see why it's considered such a classic. I highly recommend it.
What classic movie should I see next?
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Monday, August 31, 2009
When I created this list, I didn't know that mere hours later I would be gifted with the most beautiful and meaningful piece of jewelery possible. Therefore, I've decided that my jewelery collection is perfect as-is, and I'll consider my gorgeous engagement ring my signature piece of jewelery (afterall, I do wear it 24/7... even when I sleep:) So #6, Check.
On Sunday, I decided to play tourist downtown. Here are a few of my pictures!
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
The goal of the year of the Kate is for me to begin living fully. One way for me to do this is to create a list of things I want to do (yes, I realize that is quite the contradiction - PLANNING to live fully, but atleast it’s progress). It’s a list of 26 things that I’d like to do before I turn 26.
1) Become a volunteer
2) Start & maintain a blog
3) Watch Gone With the Wind
4) Be flexible enough to be able to do the splits
5) Become a bit more healthy
6) Buy a piece of jewelery
7) Go to an NFL Football Game
8) Live alone
9) Learn to cook
10) Drink a Scotch-on-the-Rocks
11) Find a favorite poem
12) Learn to Salsa Dance
13) Join a book club
14) Determine my signature drink
15) Write one letter/week
16) Join an organized athletic team/group
17) Take language lessons
18) Learn to write a love poem in French
19) Develop my mission statement
20) Learn three toasts (cheers)
21) Get a facial
22) Run a 5K
23) Learn world geography
24) Bike along lake Michigan
25) Go to a concert of a favorite artist
26) Keep a plant living for the whole year